The Federal Government of Nigeria under her agency, the Industrial Training Fund (ITF) established the Students’ Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES), in 1973 to assist students acquire skills and training that will help them fit into existing industries on graduation.
This follows the provision of Decree No. 47of 1971 as amended in 2011 that mandates students studying Technical and Science based courses in Nigeria’s tertiary Institutions to do Industrial Attachment (IT) from 4 months to 6 months according to the nature of the course of study.
The Students Industrial Works Experience Scheme Unit of the Godfrey Okoye University Enugu was established by the Vice-Chancellor, esteemed Professor, Very Rev. Fr. Dr. Christian Anieke in 2011 as a coordinating directorate in VC’S office to be supervised by the Dean faculty of natural and Applied Sciences of the University. The office has a director/coordinator who heads the Unit with an administrative secretary. Also in the Unit is a team of departmental coordinators who supervise the students’ activities during the SIEWS period (from April to Sept.) every year.
The Philosophy of the GOUNI SIWES is in tone with the philosophy of the University.
The philosophy of Godfrey Okoye University is based on the nature of the human person as a social being and a dialogue-seeking being. From this point of view the University understands education as a dialogical process of acquisition and dissemination of knowledge.
THE OBJECTIVES OF SIWES
- Provide avenues for students to acquire industrial skills and experience during their course of study.
- Prepare students for industrial work situation they are likely to meet after graduation.
- Expose students to work methods and techniques in handling equipment and machineries that may not be available in the university.
- Provide students with the opportunities to apply their educational knowledge in real work situations, thereby bridging the gap between theory and practice.
- To make the transition from the world of schooling to the world of work easier through enhancing students’ contact, for later job placement.
FUNCTIONS OF GOUNI SIWES UNIT
By the directive of National Universities Commission (NUC) and Industrial Training Fund (ITF), the Unit is mandated to carry out the following functions.
- Identify placement opportunities for students’ attachment with Employers.
- Supervision of the students placed in the industries located within our ITF zone.
- Processing of students’ logbooks, ITF forms and industrial attachment reports upon which is based on the Federal Government funding of supervision and students’ allowances.
- Fostering of close links between the university and industries participating in SIWES programme.
- Provision of advisory guidance to participating students on career employment opportunities.
- Monitoring of compliance with the requirements of SIWES on the part of students in eligible disciplines as a condition for graduation.
- Facilitation of the disbursement of the students’ allowance to deserving students through e-payment.
- Apply job-specifications as prepared for all the accredited courses and award appropriate credit units in accordance with Federal Government minimum academic standard guidelines.
- Organize orientation courses in collaboration with the ITF for their students.
The faculties and departments involved in SIWES exercise;
- Faculty of Natural and Applied sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Computer Science/mathematics
- Physical & Geosciences
- Faculty of management & Social Sciences
- Mass communication
- Faculty of Education
- Business Education
THE GOUNI SIWES BANK ACCOUNT:
First bank, account no.2020086288
THE GOUNI E-MAIL:
TEAM OF SUPERVISORS
- Maths Mr. Ozomadu E. A.
- Computer Science Ms. Onos
- Physics Ms. Onuorah L.
- Geology and mining Mr. Ikejiaku
- Chemical science Mr. Engwa G.
- Biological sciences Mr. Njokunwobu
- Biotechnology Mr. Onah Peter
- Mass Communication & Education Mr. Nwosu
- Supervising Dean Prof. C. Uhuegbu
STAFF LIST AND PROFILE
DR. NDIDIAMAKA OZOFOR.
Designation: SIWES Coordinator/Director
Email: [email protected]
Dr. Ndidiamaka Ozofor holds a Ph.D in Science Education (mathematics) Nigeria, M.ED Mathematics Nigeria; He has a B.Sc/ED Statistics, a Diploma in System Science, a Professional Certificate in Oracle Techniques and Quality Control from NLTI Ibadan.
Former HOD, Business Education IECE/ESUT; former HOD Mathematics & Computer Science Education, IECE. Adj. Senior lecturer, former Seminar Research Coordinator Industrial Mathematics and Statistics department ( IMS), ESUT. He is a Consultant with National Centre for Technology Management Enugu. A Consultant with Federal School of Social Work Emene Enugu. Pioneer HOD, Computer Science/Mathematics Department GOUNI. Enugu. The Coordinator of Mathematics, Statistics and Demography, GOUNI. Enugu.
• Preparation of placement and Master lists of students due for IT
• Attending zonal meetings of Industrial Training Fund
• Supervision of students on Industrial Training
• Organizing orientation program for students before going on Industrial Attachment.
MBAH ANN OGOCHI
Designation: Administrative Secretary
Email: [email protected]
Born in Enugu on April 17, 1985, Ann got her HND in Mass Communication from the Institute of Management and Technology (IMT) Enugu in 2010 and B.ed in English from Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) in 2015. Mbah Ann Ogochi joined the services of Godfrey Okoye University in 2013 as Higher Executive Office, general duties. And in 2016, she became the SIWES Administrative Officer.
Ann hails from Ugbawka in Nkanu East Local Government Area of Enugu State.
- Preparation of placement and Master lists of students due for IT Giving of Industrial Training form to IT students
- Preparation of master and placement list for students going on industrial training
- Organizing orientation programme for students going on Industrial Training
- Participate in departmental seminars for IT returnees and any other duties as may be assign to me.